Of all the many parts involved in construction projects, construction site safety is the most vital. Any construction project exposes workers to many hazards and ensuring they stay as safe as possible is crucial.
Hence, the team at AdvancedCT would like you to know about 5 important construction site safety rules.
1. Personal Protective Equipment Should Be Worn Always
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) protects from workplace incidents that can injure employees. Employees have to provide items like safety helmets, safety boots, safety goggles, earplugs, etc. Furthermore, employees need to properly wear all the required equipment when on the job.
2. Ensure The Site Is Clean and Organized
Clutter and debris over the workplace are detrimental to construction site safety. Not only do they hamper the efficiency of the workflow, but the clutter can also cause workers to trip and fall. This can lead to even more serious accidents.
A clean and well-organised work site will protect employees and make work more efficient. This will clearly define the workspace and store all tools and equipment safely to increase their longevity. Also, any waste and debris produced should be regularly removed from the construction site.
3. Ensure Workers Have Training In Proper Lifting Techniques
Lifting and moving heavy objects from one place to another is necessary for construction work. However, these repeated actions can create posture problems, pain and other back injuries in workers.
Thankfully, proper lifting techniques that maximise safety can be used to prevent this. As such, all workers should have the necessary training on how to lift heavy objects without injuring themselves. If the object in question is too heavy, lifting implements like cranes and dollies should be provided.
4. Follow Electric Safety Guidelines
Electric hazards have significant considerations concerning construction site safety. Power tools are necessary for many tasks on construction sites but without adequate protection, they can cause electric shocks. Hence the workplace should have adequate guidelines for grounding electrical tools, insulation, checking for electrical hazards, etc. This ensures electrocution protection for employees.
5. Ensure That Proper Protection Is Available When Working At Height
Working at heights requires adequate protection to ensure that workers don’t fall on the job. Fall protection equipment like safety harnesses, guardrails, safety nets, etc, should be available whenever a worker needs to work at height. Employees should also be trained on the proper use of this equipment to ensure their safety even more.
Risks of Not Following Construction Site Safety Rules
Ignoring or lazily adhering to construction site safety rules can create very dire consequences for employees and employers. Some risks of not following safety rules on construction sites include:
- Accidents that lead to severe injuries or death.
- Legal repercussions like fines, penalties and criminal charges.
- Loss of productivity due to injuries caused by accidents and a drop in employee morale.
- Damage to equipment and property from accidents.
- Significant financial losses to take care of employees’ health needs, pay fines, repair equipment, etc.
- Loss of social standing and reputation in the business community.
Benefits of Working With Safety Training Providers
Engaging the services of safety professionals is a great way to ensure construction site safety. Here are some advantages of working with safety training providers.
- Their extensive knowledge and experience in workplace safety allow them to provide comprehensive construction safety training for employees.
- Safety training providers keep up with all regulations and mandates concerning health and safety and can help employers comply with all of them.
- They are also experienced in tailoring training programs to suit the particular needs of any workspace.
- The training safety professionals provide allows employers and employees to significantly reduce the risk of accidents on the construction site.
- The training they provide also increases employee morale which leads to an increase in productivity.
Advanced CT – Leaders In Occupational Health & Safety
Construction site safety rules are critical when it comes to protecting employees and creating a safe workspace. Ignoring or lazily following these rules can lead to serious consequences for employers and severe health issues for employees. Making these guidelines a priority is a key step to increasing safety in construction sites.
Please contact us if you need safety training for your workplace. Advanced CT has provided stellar training programs since its inception in 1998. Our team of experienced professionals can deliver our programs on-site, off-site or remotely, depending on your needs. With our assistance, your workplace health and safety is never in question.