Protect Yourself When Working Outdoors in Summer
Summer is just around the corner! While many of us will be looking forward to holidays, beach trips, and ice -cold beers after work, it’s also the time of year when we need to take extra precautions to protect ourselves from the heat.
Anyone working outdoors should take extra precautions to keep themselves well-hydrated, protected from harmful UV rays, and should know when to take a break.
Here are a few safety tips to keep you protected throughout Summer:
- Make sure you are dressed appropriately – this includes a hat and UV protective eyewear. Choose light-colored fabrics that are breathable, but still meet the PPE safety guidelines. Keep an eye out for special UV fabrics that will keep the sun out, and keep you cool.
- Keep hydrated – have a drink of water every 15 minutes, and keep away from sugary drinks that will further the dehydration process.
- Apply and reapply sun cream – there’s nothing worse then the pain of sunburn, so be proactive and protect yourself from the short-term pain and the long-term pain of sun cancer.
- Give your body a chance to recover – this means taking regular breaks out of the sun and in a cool place.
- Be informed about the signs of heatstroke – if you feel dizzy, weak, or nauseous, stop, find a cool shaded area, and hydrate. If it continues make sure you seek medical attention.
- Watch out for your mates – speak up and encourage them to be safe in the heat.
Following these simple straightforward tips will ensure that you’re protected from the Summer heat.
At Elliotts, our aim is to take care of you while you’re at work and ensure you get home safely by providing a wide range of quality safety gear and personal protective equipment. To help protect you from the harmful effects of UV exposure when working outdoors under the sun, we offer you an array of protective clothing and gear, including Hats & Hat Brims, Sunglasses, and Body Cooling Clothing.
Connect with us on: