Prevent and Stop Workplace Bullying
Bullying in the workplace not only affects staff, but it can also affect organisations in their ability to operate. Yet despite this, new research shows that bullying in the workplace is on the increase.
What is Workplace Bullying?
In its simplest form, workplace bullying is repeated and unreasonable behaviour directed towards a worker that creates a risk to health and safety. Examples of behaviour that may be considered to be workplace bullying include:
- Abusive, insulting or offensive language
- Unjustified criticism or complaints
- Deliberately excluding someone from workplace activities
- Setting unreasonable timelines or constantly changing deadlines
- Setting tasks that are unreasonably below or beyond a person’s skill level
- Spreading misinformation or malicious rumours.
What Can You Do If You are Being Bullied at Work?
- Refer to your workplace’s policies and procedures and check whether your workplace has a bullying policy and reporting procedure.
- If you feel safe and comfortable doing so, speak to the other person. They may not realise the effect their behaviour is having on you.
- Report it, your employer cannot address the problem if they do not know about it.
What Should a Business Do to Ensure They Prevent Workplace Bullying?
The following are ways your business can prevent/stop workplace bullying from occurring:
- Have adequate systems and training in place to manage bullying claims
- Have policies and procedures about bullying in the workplace including a social media policy
- Have managers trained in effective management of employees to avoid claim
- Have staff trained in appropriate workplace behaviour including bullying and harassment
- Have satisfactory arrangements for investigating, monitoring, processing and implementing outcomes or complaints.
As workplace bullying can happen to anyone in any type of workplace it is important to identify workplace bullying when it occurs and take preventative steps to ensure it does not happen again in your workplace. It is also important to remember that everyone has the right to feel safe in a bullying free workplace.
Need advice on which safety gear to get for your requirements? Feel free to get in contact with us at Elliotts Australia. We would love to assist you! Call us on 07 3265 2944 or send us a message – HERE.
Connect with us on:
At Elliotts, it’s all about you – Taking Care of you while you’re at work and ensuring you get home safely.
See our wide range of Quality Safety Products:
Welding Safety Gear & Accessories
Arc Flash Clothing & Equipment